Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Genre, Genre, Genre

gen·re ˈ(jon-ra)  noun; a category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by
similarities in form, style, or subject matter.

Ok, my mind feels a bit less cluttered now so we are making progress. As far as genre I would love to create a coming of age drama.  I conducted some research on the given genre and found it to be the most relatable, allowing audiences, including myself, to establish a deeper connection to the characters.  Character connection is the most essential aspect of a movie in my eyes.  Even something as remote as clothing style allows audiences to see themselves within characters, enticing them to discover what this parallel individual will do throughout his or her journey. The Perks of Being a Wallflower, the number 10 coming of age film according to my sources, follows an adolescent boy on his journey of self reflection and growth.  Perks initiates by introducing the protagonist through epistolary voice, in which he is writing in his journal.  Vague elements, which are later explored, are also introduced in the opening, such as "...that weird guy who spent a lot of time in the hospital...". This entices viewers to continue watching and discover what all of the unanswered questions are referring to.  I provided the opening below so you guys are able to have a clearer understanding as to what I am referring to (you're welcome).
Overall, I do feel much more prepared now that I have an idea as to where I want to go.  Tomorrow, Cheyenne and I are having a brainstorming session in class.  Who knows, I might come back wanting to do something completely different like a horror film.  I just hope we figure it out soon so that we can think of a plot line and begin the production process.  



"University of London." Nature 158.4001 (1946): 21. Web. 20 Mar. 2016.
"The 50 Best Coming-of-Age Movies." News. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Mar. 2016.

video:  TheMrGmatic. "The Perks Of Being A Wallflower Opening." YouTube. YouTube, 15 June 2014. Web. 28 Mar. 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment